Monday, September 19, 2011

How to make your journal editor happy

And in today's Hints from Heloise...

If you want to make your journal editor / reviewers happy when submitting a revision for review, use colorful highlighting annotations in your PDF document to show what's new. This makes skimming a 48 page manuscript so much more pleasant, and as an editor I am far more likely to click, "Hoo-rah, accept!" than I otherwise would.

Recently I read one manuscript where the authors put their new text in yellow and their revised text in blue. Just this simple gesture made it so easy for me to check if they'd made the required changes.

You'd like to think your reviewers are not this easily manipulated, but I can tell you at least one of them is. :)

2 comments:

  1. Recently I read one manuscript where the authors put their new text in yellow and their revised text in blue.

    I once had a paper published in a journal that specifically asked for this in a revision: all new or changed text had to be typeset in red in the revised version of the paper or else they would not accept the submission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm i found this very helpful about making a better journal thanks and i'm looking forward for your post next time :)

    Split Testing

    ReplyDelete